When I first learned about The Information Lab and The Data School (DS), admittedly I had not even heard about Tableau. I only knew that I wanted to learn more about data analytics and visualisations. Throughout the process of my application in DS, I not only managed to learn how to do basic data analysis, I accidentally managed to fall in love with the software.
I was over the moon when I managed to get a place in the DS, however it was only during the London Tableau Conference when I really acknowledged importance of the next 4 months and the subsequent 3 placements for me. Every time I would introduce myself as the new member of the DS to the various people I met in the conference, they would tell me how amazing this opportunity and advise me to take full advantage of it.
Subsequently, to ensure I make the most of this incredible experience, I have decided to make a list of expectation of my time in the DS:
- Learn how to use Tableau as a data analytical tool instead for just dashboard and data visualisations.
- Fully embrace the Tableau community and try to give something back to it
- Learn to become a better presenter and speak
- Continue to strive to learn more every single day one dashboard at a time
- Always ask questions when I am stuck and try my best to help my colleagues
- Understanding when and how to use best design practice
- Improve my blogging skills