Our task for today was to complete this weeks Makeover Monday, and to analyse what we liked and didn’t like about the original visualisation. Here’s the original viz:
What I liked:
- Its relatively straight forward, and so easy to understand.
- Focused on most recent data.
What I didn’t like/could be improved:
- Two many bars/colours, you have to keep checking the legend to get the information out of the chart; the legend itself is over-complicated with the categories in each one
- No need for the gridlines
- Poorly formatted axis
- Don’t really like the colour pallet
What I changed:
- To reduce the amount of colours, I grouped the bars by role, so there was an easy comparison from male to female pay, and only two colours were needed.
- I think the column chart looks better than the bar so switched the layout.
- I wanted to focus on the difference in pay between genders so used a side bar side bar chart. I had some difficulty with the axis label but found a workaround using a second sheet and aligning them on the dashboard.
- Although the year to year is not as accurate as it could be due to more experienced, presumably higher paid teachers leaving and newly qualified teachers coming in on lower salaries, i thought it was still worth being able to look at year to year changes so made it a secondary focus with the filter at the bottom.
- I removed unnecessary grid lines and went for a more minimal overall design
Here is what i ended up with: