Dashboard week is here for DS14. This past week has been really hectic and I knew I would struggle for time to come up with projects. I enlisted the services of Nick and Lily from DS10. To say they were excited for this assignment would be a massive understatement. I’m grateful to them for finding five interesting projects for the team.
The basic idea behind Dashboard Week is that the team is given a data source, they prep the data, create a visualization, and write a blog post.
Here are the rules that are common across each day:
- They must work independently.
- Everything MUST be completed by 5pm (so that I can write a recap blog post). This includes:
- Data prep workflow
- Visualization published to the web
- Blog post written
- They MUST leave their laptops at work in the evening.
- The next morning, present back the previous day’s work.
- No complaining!
- Pay attention; requirements may change day-to-day.
For day 1, the team will be using data from the National UFO Reporting Center Online Database. That’s right! Day 1 is about aliens sightings. Specifically, they need to download all recorded sightings & visualise the data. Hopefully they will notice that some of the data contains typos & errors.
Good luck team!