Going into day 3, I was wondering how the team would approach the task. There were several ways to get the UK food hygiene ratings data, the two most obvious being an API or downloading all of the individual XML files. The team fiddled around for a couple of hours before Nils was able to figure out exactly how the API worked and then the team all shared his work. There have been a couple interesting observations so far this week:
- When someone thinks they’re onto something, they quickly put it up on the big screen and share it with everyone. Excellent collaboration!
- They tend to work in small groups, which has allowed them to bounce ideas off of each other.
- Headphones are key if you need to concentrate.
- They save up all of their questions for me until right before I’m getting ready to leave. They’ve been amazingly consistent with this. Sorry DS10 for not making it over today! Blame DS9 for not asking questions sooner.
- It’s easy to quickly go down a rabbit hole. I’ve been encouraging simplicity all week but sometimes people have an idea and want to force it. This won’t work in placements.
- If you don’t like the data, tough! Your clients won’t give you data you like. Stop the whining and move on.
Onto the day 3 recap.